Thursday, November 22, 2007

Tryptophan and Tears



Today was a minimally stress-free day. Yes, it's Thanksgiving, but for the first time in three years, I wasn't stomaching the stress of fighting crazy airports and five pounds of mashed potatoes. This year, I didn't have to fly home for dinner. We spent it at my sister's. On the menu: two brined Diestel turkeys, stuffing, mashed potatoes, potato salad, cornbread and plenty of sweet fare (I made lemon bars, apple cobbler, pumpkin pie from scratch and cornbread.)

After an early dinner with my sister's dogs, Shadow and Guinness, begging at the table, we went for a nice stroll near Ocean Beach. I knew the turkey was kicking in on the drive home from my sister's. I was ready to call it night, when I remembered that it was Thursday night and Grey's was on. I was never really a Grey's fan, but I started watching this season and am a bit hooked. It wasn't that I hated Grey's, it was because my work schedule precluded me from watching the show.

I thought the producers of the show would play a re-run of some past holiday show, but it was a new episode. And in all its Grey's glory it managed to get the waterworks going. I don't know if it was the level of tryptophan in my system, but I cried at almost every scene that didn't include jokes or a happy relationship moment. Some of tonight's themes included: A black surgeon and Asian surgeon having to operate on a white supremicist and two paramedics trapped in a car dying, but trying to save each other's lives. It was an evening of tryptophan and tears.

No comments: