Thursday, April 16, 2009

How many magnums?

A short post before I pass out from a long day. Today is the start of the Pebble Beach Food & Wine. On Wednesday night, there was a very exclusive, private dinner for 20 wine collectors in an undisclosed location in Pebble Beach. Basically these folks were flown in from all over the world, and brought in with a motorcade to a home in Pebble. Why the security? Well, they were all carrying very expensive and rare magnums of wine (mainly French). I had to cover this. I arrived at this amazing mansion and...standing there in the front was none other than Chef Thomas Keller from French Laundry. I think I squealed -- while remaining professional.

This was the kick-off to Pebble Beach Food and Wine. The founders hosted the 9-course meal cooked by Chefs Thomas Keller, Daniel Humm of Eleven Madison Mark and Sherry Yard of Spago. On the menu: truffles, caviar, frogs legs, kobe beef, Atlantic halibut, etc. I think one of the trio of desserts was chocolate cake with candied orange peel -- to go with an 1863 Madeira.

Need to go to bed now. Another long day ahead of me. Celebrity chef golf tournament is at 8:30a-2:00p at Pebble Beach. Then opening night reception at Spanish Bay 6pm. Will do several "wardrobe changes" as I go from the fairway to the dining room.

Stayed tuned for pictures and more blog posts!

No comments: